Thursday, June 7, 2012

Up-Cycling: Formula Cans

Wow.  So I have been trying to do this post for awhile now - but Blogger was NOT cooperating!  I could not, for the life of me, write a new post!  The page would always turn up blank..... Finally got it figured out (Thanks to the big Hubby), so now we are back on track!

Tandon (or, 'Littles') has a milk allergy and  is on soy formula right now.  We go through this stuff pretty quickly, and I hate just throwing these sturdy little cans away.  I have found a couple of things you can do with these bad boys (or any medium sized container, really) that is useful and cheap!  Sooooooooo here you go! :)

Earring Holder

Covered the can with this lovely material, and.... Voila!  My bracelets are inside :)

  Because this can is covered in a lacy/meshy type material, I decided I could do this too....


BAM!!!  Earring holder, AND cosmetics storage :)  


Home Decor

 My friend Deniece let me use her candle holders as props.  She mentioned that it would be cute to get some holiday craft paper and use that instead of material.  So go buy some Fourth of July craft paper and show your patriotism!  We also thought it would be cute to drill holes in the shape of a star/flag/fireworks and put tea lights inside :)
                               



Toy (to help strengthen coordination and motor skills)

Pretty much, I just got a nail and hammer, and pounded some holes into the lid, cut off one of the ends of some Q-Tips, and had Benson practice putting the Q-tips into the holes.  The instructors at Early Intervention have him do exercises similar to this to help strengthen his fine motor skills.  Cheap, easy.... fun?...  Well, it was fun for him..... Until he couldn't push the Q-tip all the way through the hole.... Then he was just mad.
OR, you could stick some dried beans in there, super glue the lid shut, cover that sucker with some cute craft paper/material, and make it into a Maraca!!  Ay Yi Yi!!!


'What I Like About You'  Jar

This is a great way to encourage your family members to be positive with one another.  Have your kids pay special attention to all the good/positive things their siblings are doing (and YOU pay special attention to all of the wonderful things your children are doing).  Have pre-cut strips of paper and a pencil next to the 'What I Like About You' can, and throughout the week have your children write down special things they like about another family member (and you write positive notes to your children).  It can be something as simple as "You put your plate in the sink without me even asking!",  or,  "I like how Tandon played Peek a boo with me".....   Choose a day out of the week that you'll pull out and read all the 'What I Like About Yous' (Maybe for family home evening?  Or as a Sunday activity :)  I'm really excited to do this with my kids!  When they get a little older that is... Pretty sure my 2 year old and 5 month old wont appreciate it right now....

This is how I did it at first - Craft Paper and printed out text..... THEN I thought it would be cute to print out pictures of the kids and add that onto the can!  


Kind of cute, right?  And you don't have to use formula cans.  You can use that old cottage cheese container you were about to throw away!  Up-cycling, people!  Everybody's doing it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment