Saturday, April 14, 2012

Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes

So my mom makes the best homemade pancakes.  EVER. I'm not even kidding.  Like, I feel bad for all of you who haven't tried them.  Anyway, I've been trying to eat healthier lately, so I have been cutting out a lot of carbs and sugar from my diet, and I've also been trying to eat more whole grain.  GO ME!!!  Except, sadly, this means no more of Mom's homemade pancakes (at least until I reach my goal weight :)  Well, this morning I decided I was tired of having green smoothies for breakfast, so I pulled out Mom's pancake recipe to see what I could do with it to make it work with my diet.  I switched out the white flour with whole wheat flour, replaced the veggie oil with coconut oil, and mixed in a mashed banana and a drizzle of honey for sweetness. Oh. My. GOSH!!  I LOVED it!  And guess what?  The hubby liked it too!  And that is saying A LOT, because he is NOT a healthy foods kind of guy.  Just ask him.  He'll tell you how much he's loved my healthy foods rampage......  Anyway here's what you need to do to get these mouthwatering and HEALTHY (yes, I just used those two words in the same sentence) pancakes.

Ingredients:

DRY
1  cup whole wheat flour
1  Tablespoon Baking Powder
2  Tablespoons  Stevia Powder 
1/2  teaspoon salt

*If you want to kick up the flavor, add
 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon, 
1/8 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts 
Mmmmmm


WET
1 Cup Milk (can use almond or soy)
1 Egg 
1 Ripened banana, mashed
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (you will need to melt the coconut oil down before putting it into the mix)
And a squeeze of Honey.


                             Sift the dry ingredients together. 



 In separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients and mix well.  The coconut oil may begin to harden and lumpen back up, but that's ok :)

 
 Pour the wet mix into the dry mix and whisk until well blended.  Pour desired amount onto griddle and cook to your heart's desire.  I like mine a little underdone, while my husband likes his very thoroughly cooked through - so you be the judge of how long to cook them.  Oh, and make sure that when you flip them you are fairly quick about it.  Otherwise they will start to fall apart on you!    Top with your topping of choice!  Fat free Cool Whip tastes GREAT on these....  and fresh strawberries maybe?  Haven't tried it with the strawberries yet.  We did maple syrup......Not the healthiest of toppings for this otherwise healthy meal, but that's what the man wanted :)  Whaddaya going do?   ENJOY :)

2 comments:

  1. Yaaaay for that!! I love you blog Shawn, it's adorable!!! And I'm super excited about this recipe because I just finished off the last six of my
    Unhealthy buttermilk ones. Haha! I am so glad you are doing this! Wanna guest post?!

    ReplyDelete