Friday, April 13, 2012

The Perpendicular Popsicle Stick

So..... Here's the thing -  I love the dollar store.  Like a lot.  And I swear EVERY TIME I go there I find something new that I hadn't seen before and I'm like, "I didn't know the dollar store sold this!  And only for a dollar!?"  Yep.  True story.  You can call me silly... you can call me cheap.... but there are some quality items to be found at Dollar Tree.  (And there are some things that aren't so quality too, but we won't discuss those right now.....)

I'm going to show you how to do a reversed popsicle with some sweet dollar store items .  The size and shape of this popsicle is perfect  for my little two year old, and it is A LOT less messy than the traditional ones that melt and drip down their little hands and arms.



                                 
































So, today's dollar store items are:

                                             
                                                  Ice Tray
                  (designed to make ice cubes that fit into water bottles)


                                         AND


                                       Popsicle Sticks
(From the craft section.  You seriously get like, a JILLION of these for a dollar)

It's really pretty simple.  You just fill your ice tray up with your liquid of choice, then cover it with Tin Foil or Press n' Seal (I prefer press n' seal, because it's a little less temperamental than the tin foil).   Then, using your slicing tool of choice (I just used a small paring knife), you make small incisions through the Press N' Seal into each ice cube slot - this is where your popsicle stick will go, so make sure you don't make it big.  Just a teeny tiny slit.



Place the tray in the freezer for about 45 minutes, then put the sticks through the designated slots.


After inserting the sticks, leave the tray in for a few hours (or however long it takes to freeze), then take it out, remove the press n' seal, and enjoy your horizontal popsicle stick :)  I usually just do ice sticks, but pshhhh, the sky is the limit!  Grape juice, orange juice, Crystal Light.... maple syrup....?  I totally would.   Yesterday I put a little bit of lemon and honey in the water before freezing it (because my throat was starting to get a little scratchy) and I just sucked on my Lemon-Honey popsicle sticks all day, and BAAAMMM!  All better.  Just kidding - but it was soothing :)  Anyway.... Enjoy :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment