Friday, April 27, 2012

Shapes

So remember that one time my little two year old did NOT want to sit down and learn anything?  I do.  And it's starting to get just a little frustrating!  Ha ha!  I know, I know, he's two....and a boy....   But this is what I have pictured in my mind for learning time.



But in reality what I get is a mixture of this.........



And this......


And this.



Yep.



So the other day I wanted to play 'Shapes' with Benson (because it had been awhile since we had gone over our shapes), but Benson wanted to play 'flashlight'.   Benson's little brother, Tandon, was down for a nap, and I really wanted to spend some quality one on one with my buddy Benson.  But nooooooooo.  He was not about to surrender his playing time with the flashlight for something as boring as shapes.   So then I got a great idea:  Let's play shapes and flashlight!




So I got some ol' card stock paper and cut some shapes into them.  That way we could look at the shapes on the wall using the flashlight as a projector.  WIN!  

  Benson loved this!  When the flashlight started wiggin' out on us, we brought in a lamp and used that instead.  Much better quality with the lamp :)


You can bet we are going to be doing this with our ABC's!!  Tedious?  Yeah.  Worth it?  I don't know, ask me after I've cut out all 26 letters of the alphabet :)

So find what your toddler likes and incorporate that into learning time.  Maybe he likes tractors?  Bury the shapes/letters/numbers  under the sand and have him dig them up with his backhoe and carry them away in his dump truck.  Maybe it's dinosaurs?  Have his dinosaurs hold them in their mouths.  Princesses?  Um..... You moms with girls will have to come up with something there! Anyway you get the picture :)

Happy playing!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment